Drowsy driving, or driving while tired, can be extremely dangerous. Any vehicle is a piece of heavy machinery and as such demands an attentive operator when behind the wheel. Being distracted is one thing, because although you can, in most cases quickly snap your attention back after being distracted, if you are tired your concentration and reaction speeds are greatly affected. In this blog we’ll go over some of the dangers of drowsy driving.
Drowsy Driving Causes You To Be Slowed
Drowsy driving causes the following issues:
- Slowed reaction time, judgment, and vision: Perhaps you can’t respond to a hazard or something coming out onto the road quickly enough, or you think you can make a light in time, or you just can’t see something that is about to cross your path.
- Struggling with information processing and your short-term memory: Maybe you can’t understand what is posted on a sign, or you just passed something a few minutes ago and you already can’t recall what it was.
- Elevated levels of moodiness and aggression: Sleepiness already causes people to be surly in regular settings. Add that surliness to driving situations and road rage can easily result.
Warning Signs of Drowsy Driving
Some warning signs of drowsy driving are almost indistinguishable from those of when drunk driving is involved. These warning signs include:
- You find yourself frequently yawning or blinking
- You missed a critical exit because your attention slips.
- You can’t remember the last few miles of your journey – you remember starting out, maybe, but can’t remember when or how you got to your current position.
- You notice yourself drifting in and out of your lane
- You collided with a rumble strip set off to the side of the road
Who Can be Most Prone to Drowsy Driving?
Who is most prone to drowsy driving? Drivers who don’t get enough sleep before hitting the road, commercial drivers (such as truckers and bus drivers), and drivers with an untreated sleep disorder that could be affecting them without them even knowing it, such as sleep apnea.
Prioritizing Safety with G & M Services
G & M Services is proud of our employees and the dedication they have for safety in the workplace. Our employees are also rewarded for positive safety practices. We incorporate weekly and monthly discussions and meetings to ensure that all involved are aware of how to handle equipment and potential situations that could occur during a project.
G & M Services offers services in the way of concrete drilling and sawing, concrete scanning, and FireStop. To get started with G & M Services, call us today at 410-787-8828 or visit our contact page.