Any building manager or owner knows the importance of a good firestop system. It keeps a building and the people inside safe from the spread of fire and smoke. The term “firestop” can refer to either a fire protection system that seals openings and joints in fire-resistant walls or floors, or the individual pieces of that system. These systems got their name for a reason, since their sole purpose is to stop the spread of fires in buildings. Here’s a little more on the components of a firestop system and what they do.
Different FireStop Components
- Slab Edge: The perimeter slab edge of a property is a main area for fire and smoke to move between rooms. Slab edge firestop is considered an extension of a floor slab’s fire-resistance rating.
- Curtain Wall: A curtain wall is a thin wall framed with aluminum. The wall has in-fills of metal panels, small stone, or glass.
- Top of Wall: At the top of a wall assembly and floor assembly, a small gap is created that can allow fire and smoke to travel between rooms and floors. Top of wall firestopping fills these gaps with a fireproof compound to stop the spread of fire and smoke.
- Joint: Joint firestopping protects the joint between wall and floor assemblies.
- Pipe Penetration: Any time mechanical, HVAC, or plumbing work needs to be performed within a building there will be openings that leave the structure vulnerable. Pipe penetration firestop seals openings created by work done in fire-rated floors or walls.
Prioritizing Safety with G & M Services
G & M Services is proud of our employees and the dedication they have for safety in the workplace. Our employees are also rewarded for positive safety practices. We incorporate weekly and monthly discussions and meetings to ensure that all involved are aware of how to handle equipment and potential situations that could occur during a project.
G & M Services offers services in the way of concrete drilling and sawing, concrete scanning, and FireStop. To get started with G & M Services, call us today at 410-787-8828 or visit our contact page.