Basic ladder safety is an important part of staying safe on the job. In this blog we’ll go over some basic ladder safety tips. Always remember that ladders are just another form of tool. Like all other tools, the same basic safety rules that apply to these tools apply to ladders as well. Perhaps the biggest safety tip of all is just this: use common sense.
Basic Ladder Safety Tips Include the Following
- Tired or Dizzy? Stay Off the Ladder: Do you feel tired or dizzy? These conditions can affect your sense of balance. Thus, it’s probably best if you stay off the ladder for the time being. This tip also applies if you tend to lose your balance or have a fear of heights.
- Avoid High Winds and Storms: This tip should go without saying. If you are caught outdoors in high winds and storms, stay off the ladder. The weather can easily tip the ladder over or just blow it away. In weather like this it is probably better just to seek shelter.
- Make Sure the Ladder is in Working Condition: Also be sure to check that the ladder itself is in working condition. Broken or malfunctioning ladders can be a danger by themselves. Reject ladders with loose or missing parts; best not to use those at all. If the ladders also sway or lean, especially once weight is applied to it, reject those ladders as well.
- Firm Level Ground: Seek firm and level ground to set the ladder up on. There can be no slipperiness either around the base of the ladder. Also, ensure that there is no slipperiness around the top of the ladder either.
- One Person at a Time: Most ladders can only hold one person at a time. Unless the ladder is designed to accommodate more than one user, don’t overload it.
The Three Points of Contact Ladder Rule: More Basic Ladder Safety Tips
The three points are ascent, descent, and working. Whether you are climbing up, climbing down, or working on the ladder, stay safe. To best do this, face the ladder and make either two hands and one foot are on the ladder, or one hand and both feet. This will help ensure the most stable contact with the ladder.
Prioritizing Safety with G & M Services
G & M Services is proud of our employees and the dedication they have for safety in the workplace. Our employees are also rewarded for positive safety practices. We incorporate weekly and monthly discussions and meetings to ensure that all involved are aware of how to handle equipment and potential situations that could occur during a project.
G & M Services offers services in the way of concrete drilling and sawing, concrete scanning, and FireStop. To get started with G & M Services, call us today at 410-787-8828 or visit our contact page.